Jun 23, 2011

"Mommy"

A friend asked me to name one word that inspires me the most.  One word that draws me out of a comfy bed in the dark before the sun comes up.  One word that helps the pain melt away from the WOD the day before.  A word that could shake me in my soul and give me the grit to push one more rep when physically I have nothing left to give. This word should literally be heart, sweat and tears to me.  My answer was immediate.

"Mommy"

My kids say this to me constantly. Incessantly. Sometimes in a frantic crazy kind of way that makes me want to change my name to Rumpelstiltskin.  My husband also calls me Mommy in front of them.  This word inspires me because my family inspire me.  I want to be the best version of myself for them always.  I'm pretty impatient by nature but they inspire me to work on that.  I'm quick to doubt myself but I certainly don't want my kids catching that.  I want them to see a strong fit mommy who takes life by the reins and charges forward with zeal every day.  Eager for new discovery and adventure and open to teachable moments along the way.

When I'm stuck on form and can't seem to get it right, I think of my husband who has the patience of a saint.  When I get scared of pushing too hard I think of our two year old, Sam, who runs wildly through life without abandon.  That kid has absolutely NO fear... which in turns scares me a bit lol.  I'm very competitive by nature and that's where I understand our fiercely competitive eight year old son Trey.  Thinking of him gives me the push to fire out sprints at the end of my runs.

I want my kids to see me struggle through defeats and fails. I need to get back up and try again for them.  I want them to join me in my successes and learn how to empower others and themselves.  

I'm learning so much about myself through this journey!  Who knew a barbell could make a such a difference in a girl's life lol!

2 comments: