Jun 29, 2011

Sizes Don't Matter Anymore

Do you have a body goal?  A picture on your fridge of the body you'd like to have?  Maybe it's a model or an actress.   Maybe it's even a picture of yourself from a different time in your life.  I've got one.  Before I had kids I was a teeny tiny size 2.  Almost nine years later and I can still think back to that time before I had stretch marks and other things I'm not happy with. 

Over those nine years I tried several diets and workout plans to reach that magical size 2 again. First it was yoga with a low fat diet, then pilates with a no carb diet, then running with a vegan slant and every other incarnation of all of those.  I'd lose a pound or two but ended up being so hard on myself that I'd quit.  I was so restrictive with my food that a simple cheat snack would send me into a downward spiral all over again.  I had low self esteem, low self worth and was miserable a fair amount of the time.  Not only was I NOT any closer to a size 2 but I was slowly killing myself, inside and out.  I had zero energy to keep up with my boys, never mind trying to actually play with them.  Worst of all was the example I was setting for them.  I was tired, bitchy, impatient and angry.  Quite the social butterfly lol.

* Fast forward through 4 months of Crossfit *

Now my goals aren't shaped by sizes or pictures of what society says is beautiful.  To be honest, I don't even care what the stupid scale says anymore.  Now I shoot for goals like unassisted pull-ups, improving my mile speed, and RXing my lifts. 

While working towards these and other goals the weight started falling off and I've discovered a totally new me.  I've got strong, defined arms and shoulders that I've never had before.  My more athletic legs might not ever fit into a size 2 now and I am completely okay with that.  Happy about it actually. With every WOD I'm pressing on towards the strong body I was meant to have... and... with every WOD that scale means less and less!

The following quote is from Lindsay Smith of Crossfit Central in Austin, Texas.   Lindsey took 5th place in the 2009 Crossfit games, 12th in the 2010 games, and is currently preparing for a run at the 2011 games.  She is a mother, wife, athlete, teacher and coach.  She says this so well...

"Strength is more than physical prowess to me, it encompasses a strong mind, body, and spirit.  Strong women do not only themselves appear strong, but constantly strive to help others in their life become stronger. The phrase “strong is beautiful” is empowering.  It encourages women to embrace challenge, thrive when given opportunity, and stand on what they believe to be good, healthy, and right."

2 comments:

  1. I love this! It is so so true. The scale means nothing to me anymore as I can look in the mirror and see new muscles or a leaner body. Thank you for sharing.

    Don't know if you checked it out- but I changed my blog name to rxingmyassoff. Hope things continue to go well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katy! Yes I keep checking yours out. I tried to list it here under my favorite blogs but blogspot said it didn't recognize it =( Then I signed up for tumblr so I could comment on yours but I couldn't figure out how lol. I'm such a n00b! Am I missing something obvious on the tumblr site?

    ReplyDelete